I didn't try the 386 version, perhaps that will be more stable.  Also, if
you type "reset" before exiting, you can avoid "missing dos screen."  (IE -
the crash every time I exited)

Ulrich, my friend, I am not sure why you would want to run DOS in
VIrtualBox on a MacBookPro, but I am glad I could help you.  :-)  Years
ago, several other technicians laughed at me when I bought an old Pentium
for $5 saying"You can't do anything with that!" FreeDos helped me prove
them wrong.