In FreeDOS 1.1 there was a boot option 4 „Load FreeDOS without drivers“. [see
picture 1]
It booted a clean system, with SYSTEM and COMMAND and nothing else. [2]

In FreeDOS 1.2 there is a boot option 3 „Load FreeDOS without drivers
(Emergency Mode) [3]
If you choose it, you load FreeDOS with drivers: HIMEMX, FDAPM, CTMOUSE, UDVD2,
SHSUCDX… [4]

Wouldn’t it be better not to load drivers? If people choose not to? It’s called
„Emergency mode“ after all...

There is also a boot option 4 „Load FreeDOS low with some drivers (Safe Mode)“
[5]
But it is not loaded LOW, as promised. In FDCONFIG.SYS you find:
124?DOS=HIGH
…
124?DOSDATA=UMB
Isn't this the opposite of low? [6]

Probably there’s a quick way to fix the whole thing: Exchange only the titles
of menu options  3 and 4 and delete every 4? in FDCONFIG.SYS except the line
that loads SHELL=C:\FDOS\BIN\COMMAND.COM.  [7]

Wouldn’t this make more sense? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

[1] https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.1-without-drivers.png
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.1-without-drivers.png>
[2] https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.1-without-drivers2.png
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.1-without-drivers2.png>
[3] https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.2-without-drivers.png
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.2-without-drivers.png>
[4] https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.2-without-drivers2.png
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.2-without-drivers2.png>
[5] https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.2-with-some-drivers.png
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.2-with-some-drivers.png>
[6] https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.2-with-some-drivers2.png
<https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/files/1.2-with-some-drivers2.png>

[7] New FDCONFIG.SYS:

SET DOSDIR=C:\FDOS

!COUNTRY=001,858,C:\FDOS\BIN\COUNTRY.SYS
!LASTDRIVE=Z
!BUFFERS=20
!FILES=40
!MENUCOLOR=7,0

MENUDEFAULT=2,5
MENU 1 - Load FreeDOS with JEMMEX, no EMS (most UMBs), max RAM free
MENU 2 - Load FreeDOS with EMM386 (Expanded Memory) and SHARE loaded
MENU 3 - Load FreeDOS low with some drivers (Safe Mode)
MENU 4 - Load FreeDOS without drivers (Emergency Mode)

12?DOS=HIGH
12?DOS=UMB
12?DOSDATA=UMB
1?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMMEX.EXE NOEMS X=TEST I=TEST NOVME NOINVLPG
23?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\HIMEMX.EXE
2?DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\JEMM386.EXE X=TEST I=TEST I=B000-B7FF NOVME NOINVLPG
34?SHELL=C:\FDOS\BIN\COMMAND.COM C:\FDOS\BIN /E:1024 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
12?SHELLHIGH=C:\FDOS\BIN\COMMAND.COM C:\FDOS\BIN /E:1024 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT