> On Mar 24, 2017, at 6:15 PM, Dennis Fenton <dwf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The 486 that I plan to use FreeDOS on currently‎ has MS-DOS 6.22 as its only
> OS. My plan is to completely replace it but keep all my installed programs.
> The SCSI drivers are all in C:\SCSI and I notice FreeDOS has its own
> equivalent of MSCDEX.EXE.

Ok, this is my advice.

First backup:
Create a MS-DOS boot floppy as a backup. That way if things go sideways you
have a working boot disk with your needed drivers.

Next Test:
Without messing around with the FreeDOS install floppy, just boot it. It should
work fine up to the "Gathering information" message. Then it would give you an
error stating it cannot find the packages. You can then quit to The command
prompt and look around. If you see drive C:, then let's try the "not booted
upgrade" (NBU) install method or two drive (DOSBox) method.

Install:
The two drive method has you copy the contents of the CD to a separate drive.
Then boot/run the FreeDOS setup program.

The NBU method may be easiest for you. Basically, you just boot the system like
normal. Then insert the floppy and CD. Go to drive A: and run "Setup". Make
sure you let it backup your current OS! You may want to clean as much as
possible out of your existing config.sys and autoexec.bat before using the
upgrade method. That way there are fewer chances of a conflict occurring.

Note:
The NBU method is not an "official" way of installing an OS. It may fail
horribly. That being said, I did what I could to get it to function properly.
And, it worked fine in the limited testing I did with NBU installs.

Jerome