  Original Message
From: Rugxulo
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2017 6:17 PM
To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.
Reply To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] boot floppy disk image too big for a disk

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Dennis Fenton <dwf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The 486 that I plan to use FreeDOS on currently‎ has MS-DOS 6.22 as its only
> OS.
> My plan is to completely replace it but keep all my installed programs. The
> SCSI
> drivers are all in C:\SCSI and I notice FreeDOS has its own equivalent of
> MSCDEX.EXE.

If you have anything more important than games (and/or don't have the
original installation media for them and/or the disks for the version
of MS-DOS you're using), then maybe you shouldn't quite install
FreeDOS "just yet"! Especially any personal files (personal docs,
sources, game saves, registration keys), make sure to back those up
several times!

It might be safer to use a separate hard drive entirely for FreeDOS so
that you don't risk deleting anything important. You never did mention
if you have a working packet driver (I'll assume not), but it might
make backing up files a lot easier.

If you just want to play around with FreeDOS, just use a bootable
floppy (as suggested), which will minimally let you use the FD kernel
with all of your pre-existing utils. Honestly, if you already have
MS-DOS, then you probably aren't the target audience for FreeDOS at
all. (Not to be pessimistic, but FreeDOS doesn't normally offer much
more, by itself, over MS-DOS. Although it does support FAT32, unlike
MS-DOS v6 [FAT12/16 only], which can be more efficient for large
drives.)

You don't technically "need" two different kernels (but maybe you want
to compare). In that case, MetaKern may be of interest to you:

http://freedos.gds.tuwien.ac.at/freedos/news/technote/184.html
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/metakern/