From: Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 8:52 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 1, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6...@twc.com> wrote:
>
> My old notebook was set to multiboot, with Win2K Pro, a couple of
> flavors of Linux, and FreeDOS on separate HD partitions.

Do you ever watch YouTube? I found a guy recently (Druaga1) who made
various videos about (re)installing various Windows on old machines,
especially regarding him also putting in SSD drives (etc.) to see if
it increases speed.

In particular, here's "Installing Windows 2000 on an SD Card":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-hDOiI0-6s

> IIRC, I formatted the FreeDOS partition FAT32.  But getting FreeDOS to
*boot*
> from a grub2 menu was a challenge, and I had to do a lot of fiddling
> before it worked.  I never did figure out just which fiddle did the
> trick.  Then an unrelated problem forced me to wipe and reinstall 2K
> and redo multi-boot under grub2.  I got Windows and Linux booting
> again, but never could get FreeDOS back.
>
> I haven't even booted the machine in a year or more.

Would ms-sys ( http://ms-sys.sourceforge.net/ ) help? Dunno!

It's times like that which suggest reformatting / reinstalling. If
you're not using it anyways (assuming you double-check and backup any
semi-important files), you may as well fix it.

The "good" (ha!) thing about Linux is that it becomes obsolete fairly
quickly, so reinstalling is usually an improvement.

I had a USB jump drive with antiX Mepis Linux (13.2? circa 2013),
which was fairly interesting, useful, and quite speedy. Honestly, I
was morbidly curious how well it would work since they claimed it
worked on PIII-class machines (aka, obsolete), although I don't have
that need. But the included Firefox was old (various websites, e.g.
Google stuff, complained), and it had some other things that were old
(I forget, honestly). Long story short, I just reinstalled to a newer
version (16.1?) about a week ago, which brings Firefox ESR, newer
kernel, and some other goodies. (And it [still] has DOSBox
pre-installed, woot!)

>> My computer hardware no longer has any floppy capability.
>
> Nor most of mine, but that's why a USB floppy drive is a useful accessory.

In this day and age, we need to backup everything, or heavily rely on
the ever-present network for exchanging files. Relying on static media
is still a valid option, but there is no single ultra-reliable source,
so it's best not to keep too many eggs in one basket. Dare I be naive
and state the obvious? "Free" software is easier to acquire / backup /
(re)install than constantly worrying about proprietary muck. It's not
all doom and gloom, but the simpler the better.

--- Internet Rex 2.29
 * Origin: capcity2.synchro.net - 502/875-8938 (1:2320/105.99)

---
 * BgNet 1.0b12 = CCO * KY/US * 502/875-8938 * capcity2.synchro.net
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Linux ListGate 1.3
 *  Capitol City Online - Frankfort, KY - telnet://capitolcityonline.net