Hi,

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 9:22 PM, Joel Graff <monograf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on setting up a FreeDOS 1.2 VM in VirtualBox.  I've selected the
> SoundBlaster16 / PulseAudio pairing in the audio settings, but have not been
> able to get audio working on some old DOS games.

Which games? I don't know of a good guide, but here's one from quick searching:

http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Games

But I'm not honestly sure if VBox is ideal for gaming (graphics /
sound). I tend to think that their focus lies elsewhere, but maybe
you'll get lucky. I had spotty luck with Doom and others (a year or so
back), but I'm not much of a gamer anymore anyways.

In short, I think DOSBox is much more heavily recommended for classic
DOS gaming since it has full graphics and sound emulation for many
types of hardware (SB, GUS, Adlib, PC speaker, etc).

> I'm running Linux Mint 18.1, VirtualBox 5.0.4, and FreeDOS 1.2

Win7 (64-bit) Home, VBox 5.1.22 (no VT-X), FreeDOS (kernel 2041) on
this old Dell laptop works with "some" sound programs, e.g. TinyPlay
(.MOD player). (Of course, I don't know if "Windows DirectSound" Host
Driver for SB16 Controller would make a practical difference for your
specific host hardware.)

set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1

> I have the soundblaster environment variable defined in autoexec.bat.

What values does it hold?

> Do I need to be loading a .SYS driver in FDCONFIG.SYS?

Not really, but it depends (as every program had different support, sadly).