Hi,

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM, Santiago Almenara <almen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have re-discovered Qemu after using Virtualbox for FreeDOS for a couple of
> years. Since qemu is mostly for command-line use (I don't use any laucher
> yet)
>
> I'd like to ask what are the options you usually use in Qemu.
>
> My options are:
>
> qemu-system.i386 -localtime -hda freedos.img -m 64 -soundhw sb16,adlib,pcspk

I'm not sure sound emulation is very stable. I'd rather recommend
DOSBox for that.

"-m 64" is fairly low. I usually leave it default (unless needing
more), which is "-m 128". But even that is fairly low. Hey, you're
already on x64, give it 512 MB!   ;-)

> Some thoughts:
>
> - Are any additional options I should use for DOS??

"-net nic,model=pcnet -net user" is good if you already have (included
in FD 1.2) PCNTPK. So that's good for mTCP (FTP), Watt-32 (Links2),
etc.

"-drive file=fat:rw:/myfiles/dos" is weak but good in a pinch.

Nothing else obvious sticks out as worth mentioning.

> - My system is a Linux 64-bits, but I am not sure if I should use either
> qemu-system-i386 or qemu-system-x64.

Isn't there a (Debian?) "kvm" script? IIRC, all that it does is use
x64 and "-enable-kvm". (That's assuming you have VT-X. One site
recommends this: egrep "(vmx|svm)" /proc/cpuinfo )

Otherwise, since you're on x64 anyways, just use the x64 version
(unless you know otherwise). No idea which is better for DOS (or
faster or more compatible or ...).