Francisco Eduardo Álvarez Solano wrote:

> As you can see in the bug report, Duncan thinks that this modification may
> break something else. But I don't know enough freevo/python to write another
> audio plugin, as Duncan suggest. I'm used to modify manually this lines in
> every release since 1.7.x, and I have no problems with the plugins I use
> (not many, at least for audio, though)

Hm, the last answer from Duncan is "works for me"?
I can clearly state that it's not working for me if I let freevo decide
what to do.
And I must admit that local playlists also aren't working if added in
MPLAYER_ARGS with version 1.8.1 as I first said:
I forget that there's an exception for playlist-files in my (really ugly,
not error prone at all and highly adapted for my local environment)
bash mplayer-wrapper (Yes, I should rewrite it to a freevo-plugin and
maybe I will do it in the future, would be a good practice to learn
python).
But it definitely worked in an older version with m3u in MPLAYER_ARGS.
Maybe it worked, despite the fact that you are saying that you are modifying
freevo since then, in 1.7.x?
So, as I'm normally using a wrapper around mplayer (but not after my
upgrade to 1.8.3 yesterday, the backported deb from Debian Experimental
overwrote my changes in /etc/freevo/freevo.conf), it works for me too ;)

OK, I did some further testing (with plain freevo 1.8.1 and 1.8.3):

If I add pls/m3u to VIDEO_MPLAYER_SUFFIX and to MPLAYER_ARGS (files are
of course only visible in the directories mentioned in VIDEO_ITEMS):

http-m3u: plays with black screen, no onscreen display
file-m3u: plays with black screen, no onscreen display
http-pls: plays with black screen, no onscreen display
file-pls: plays with black screen, no onscreen display

If I add pls/m3u to VIDEO_XINE_SUFFIX (also the files are only visible
in VIDEO_ITEMS):

http-m3u: plays with xine-oscilator display
file-m3u: plays with xine-oscilator display
http-pls: plays with xine-oscilator display
file-pls: doesn't play and im stuck in xine-window and have to restart
          freevo, main.log says:
2008-12-15 19:10:57,182 ERROR    event callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kaa/notifier/event.py", line 191, in
handle
    handler(event)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kaa/notifier/event.py", line 145, in
__call__
    super(EventHandler, self).__call__(event)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kaa/notifier/nf_wrapper.py", line 97,
in __call__
    ret = super(NotifierCallback, self).__call__(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kaa/notifier/callback.py", line 168,
in __call__
    result = cb(*cb_args, **cb_kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/freevo/main.py", line 286, in
eventhandler
    if not rc.app()(event):
  File
"/usr/share/pycentral/python-freevo/site-packages/freevo/video/plugins/xine.py",
 line 266
    self.stop(event)
  File
"/usr/share/pycentral/python-freevo/site-packages/freevo/video/plugins/xine.py",
 line 241
    cin.write('quit\n')
IOError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

If I add pls/m3u to AUDIO_SUFFIX and to MPLAYER_ARGS (files are visible
in the directories mentioned in AUDIO_ITEMS):

http-m3u: doesn´t play
file-m3u: doesn´t play
http-pls: doesn´t play, sometimes freevo advances immediately to the
          next file, sometimes I'm stuck in the freevo-Audioplayer and
          I have to restart freevo. Then main.log says:
          rc.py (610): no event mapping for key 'STOP' in context 'menu')
          Huh, I'm in the Audio-Player?
file-pls: same as http-pls
All four variants in mplayer.log:
AVS: failed to load avisynth.dll. which means that mplayer misses the
-playlist parameter so the MPLAYER_ARGS aren't added.

If I reference pls- or m3u-playlists which itself are referencing http://
or also file:// urls in an fxd with <playlist/>  m3u/pls are playing
back fine with mplayer without specifying anything related to pls/m3u
in local_conf.py.
E.g:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<freevo>
    <container title="Audio playlists" type="webradio">
        <audio title="local m3u-playlist, http:// stream">
            <playlist/>
            <url>file:///opt/http-m3u.m3u</url>
            <info>
                <description>m3u that references an http stream</description>
            </info>
        </audio>
    </container>
</freevo>

The <url> has to be an absolute path but in the m3u/pls relative paths
are working.
I also did a quick-test with <file id="f1"> and it didn't work but maybe
my syntax was wrong (just modified the <url> fxd).

So to me it seems with an unmodified, actual freevo-version and without
using a wrapper around mplayer, there are two methods to play local
file:// or http:// m3u/pls-playlists:
Play them from a Video-Dir or reference the playlists in an fxd.
Both methods require VIDEO_PREFERED_PLAYER = 'mplayer' for pls.
Hm, could anyone please now test the four playlist-variants with
AUDIO_PREFERED_PLAYER = 'fxmms'? ;-)

Bye,
Manne