Whenever I go down to Portland State University, there's a
fundamentalist preacher standing on a bench asserting that all the
people walking around are morally in danger.  He talks and talks, rails
and rails.  Yet the students discuss their classes or their social
networks, study their books, talk on their phones, eat their lunch, etc.

No matter how loud the preacher yells about the behavior and moral
degradation of the people around him, nobody listens.  They continue to
do what they do, sometimes listening in amusement to the preacher, or
playing "Amen, brother" games with him, but mostly ignoring him.

I have some ideas about why his protestations have no effect.  But it
would help, especially in a conversation like this, if the preacher,
himself, were to give some practical hint as to _how_ the discussion
could be taken in a new direction.  Or even in what new direction the
preacher would like us to take the discussion.  (Aside from thumbing
some bible or other.)

Mostly, the preacher seems to want to preach, with no discussion being
possible.  Anytime anyone tries to approach the preacher and _discuss_
whatever, the preacher ends up ranting and railing about how that person
just doesn't get it and always falls into the standard immorality they
exhibited before they tried to start a discussion with the preacher.

--
glen  =><= Hail Eris!