We quickly polluted that thread, too.  But it drives home the point that an
email list is _not_ a (good) collaborative production tool.

Aha! I haven't heard from Cliff since my work for the
PSL<https://www.psl.nmsu.edu/>.  He supposedly works up at PNNL.  Thanks for
that article.

Yes, I took Owen to be calling Russ' post a trolling post.  But "troll" is like
"complex", meaningless out of context.

I'm completely baffled why "layer" isn't understood ... makes me think I must
be wrong in some deep way.  But for whatever it's worth, I believe I understand
and _agree_ with Nick's circularity criticism of mechanistic explanations for
complexity, mostly because of a publication I'm helping develop that tries to
classify several different senses of the word "mechanistic".  The 1st attempt
was rejected by the journal, though. 8^(  But repeating Nick's point back in my
own words obviously won't help, here.

Yes, I'm willing to help cobble together these posts into a document.  But,
clearly, I can't be any kind of primary.  If y'all don't even understand what I
mean by the word "layer", then whatever I composed would be alien to the other
participants.  One idea might be to use a "mind mapping" tool and fill in the
bubbles with verbatim snippets of people's posts ... that might help avoid the
bias introduced by the secretary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concept-_and_mind-mapping_software I also
don't care that much about the meaning of "complex".  So, my only motivation
for helping is because y'all tolerate my idiocy.

--
☣ glen