From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of glen ?
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 12:40 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] IS: Does Complexity have a circularity problem WAS: Any
non-biological complex systems?

You seem to be asking for people other than me to respond.  But I doubt anyone
will try to explain a troll like me. >8^)

I don't have any idea what you mean by "a kind of hen".  So, I'll let that go.
Stratum is a good word, but like level, it implies a direction, namely up-down
("something laid down").  I do mean something very much like level and stratum,
except without implying a (constant) direction.  Onion is a better analog than,
say, genus or battalion.  There's still a symmetry in the directions from the
center of the onion.  But at least you can vary the direction without changing
layers.  More complicated layering would be something like doping a silicon
chip or spray painting a complicated surface ... or perhaps sand blasting
something, where you turn it within the directional gradient.

It's important to graduate from the naive concept of levels to the more
sophisticated concept of layers because, e.g. in Russ' urban systems, there are
all different types of flows and ebbs, gradients of different speeds,
directions, types, etc. that "paint" things on the system in varied ways.  It's
not a singular hierarchy in any sense.

If you grok the poverty of the concept of the "landscape" in evolution, then
you should grok the poverty of the concept of "level" in cumulative structures.

That's the best I can do to explain it.  Sorry for my inadequacy.

--
☣ glen