Roger -

I think your invocation of neural nets as a model of how complex pattern matching/associations get built/learned by humans is motivated, if not as a deep explanation of how our mind/brian works, but how it *might*. The work at LANL on the petavision project which primarily was modeling the visual cortex touched on this some...

As for "layers", I suspect two things might be true: physical instantiations of these complex pattern matching systems (e.g. the human perceptual system) might have some layers imposed by the hardware. There is *some* processing at the retinal level, probably little to none in the optic nerve, a good deal more in the visual cortex and then "yet more" in the cerebral cortex. This class of decomposition of the problem seems highly motivated and likely. I think your point, however, is more once the cerebral cortex and langauage centers get involved?

I think it is fascinating to notice what you point out, that the patterns we coin/invoke to try to understand better do not match the patterns our pattern-recognizers were "built on". It seems like a top-down/bottom-up duality. But can we dismiss that we *don't* have pattern recognizers which are atuned to thes pattern types you reference (logic, coherence, hierarchy, modularity, homology, etc.?). I suppose I can believe that at the wetware level we *might not* but at the associative memory we surely seem to? I think this is why we *impose* the illusion of hierarchy even when there is little/none? There is some kind of template/prototypical pattern somewhere driving that, no? Just as the anecdotal experiments with children who grew up in cities vs in natural surroundings having different structure detectors (straight lines and rectangular regions vs curved lines and myriad freeform shape recognizers)

I agree with your point about bricolage vs engineering and in sympathy with you, went looking for the adjectival and as you may have turned to the French whence bricolage comes... but my French is abysmal and could not wade deep enough. Along the way I was surprised that modern F/E translation dictionaries all use DIY as the definition... I find that sadly low-dimensional... I thought immediately of another borrow word from the French: "bric a brac" which added a nice bit of parallax to it.

Just to feed the fires of an in-person dialog on this topic, I think there is a good reason that both Jenny Q and Dave W threw down, and that would be (I am guessing) their deep interest in Alexander's Pattern Languages. I do think of their specific collection of patterns in Architecture in "A Pattern Language" to be somewhat a collection of "bric a brac" in the best way. I'm a big fan of starting with the most intuitive and ad hoc and only applying formalisms and structure as it is recognized rather than imposing it from the top.

- Steve