Thanks for asking.

Well, I still don't know what y'all mean when you say "metaphor" because the
meaning seems to vary.  E.g. you say "a metaphor like 'layer'", indicating that
'layer' is the metaphor.  Yet you also say things like "onion metaphor",
indicating that onions are the metaphor.  But, as I tried to say earlier, I
don't regard onions as a metaphor.  They are simply a thing we can analyze
using _either_ the concept of levels (strict ordering) or the concept of layers
(more flexible organization).  So, the concept of metaphors isn't useful to me,
there.

However, I do think a metaphor consists of 2 analogs (real things like rocks or
onions) and the analogy between them.  So, I can see "metaphor" meaning a) just
2 analogs, b) just the relation/analogy, without the analogs, or with
implicit/schematic analogs, or c) all 3: 2 analogs plus their relation(s).  So,
if that's what you're asking for, I do like "exhibiting particulate deposition"
as the relationship/analogy.  For the 2 analogs, we can choose, as I said: 1)
coral deposition and, say, diffusion limited aggregation.

So, the metaphor would be DLA ⇔ coral.  And that analogy should help identify
why "layer" is a more general analysis concept than "levels".

--
␦glen?