At the risk of another discursion:

I think I just realized what I've been (almost) seeing of value in all this back and forth:

1. I (and Nick) heard Glen's invocation of the Onion as an attempt to
   explicate a useful difference between levels and layers in the
   understanding of Complexity Babble (Talk/Science/Math/???).  I think
   he meant only to try to distinguish the two from one another and
   explicate their differences irrespective of the near dead horse we
   were working over at the time.  I think this might be the totality
   of the misunderstanding.
2. I'm always looking for form/function dualities.  In the onion, the
   form (layers) follows a certain functional/behavioural path
   (cyclical growth).   I don't even know how to find "levels" in the a
   *hierarchical* sense or otherwise in an onion... maybe if we look at
   the cross section (as Glen suggested) and see *strata* (from the
   source (domain) of geological deposition and erosive or shearing
   exposure?) and then consider drilling a mine shaft into said strata
   which is more suggestive of the term "levels"?

Mumble,

 - Steve