On 06/15/2017 06:38 AM, Nick Thompson wrote:
> It is a writer's job to control the reference of his signs, in so far as s/he
> can.

I disagree completely with the ultimate consequences of what you're saying.
There is a philosophy in many branches of engineering to do exactly that: to
engineer a device so that it optimally fits it's intended user/usage.  And
that's all dandy.  However, art (for example) is not engineering.  Poetry is
not engineering.  Math is not engineering.  Science is not engineering.  If we
_always_ and forever try to clamp down on a creator's creative act in the way
you intend, we'd either die an order death or explode into chaos.

It is a writer's job, except when it's not.  My guess is that it's the writer's
job to balance and judge the amount of control to attempt.

> In writing code, you guys wouldn't put out a line of code without making
> clear what language you were writing in, would you?

Yes, absolutely!  In fact, the ability to program without specifying which
language you're using is the holy grail of programming.

--
☣ glen