On 06/15/2017 02:36 PM, Steven A Smith wrote:

> sure... we can call it premature registration by that measure but that
> undermines the utility of even having the concept of a *mis*registration as a
> possibility.   By your logic, any mis-registration I might make along the way
> is a pre-registration. As a fan of "late binding" in many contexts, I would
> agree that *all* registration risks being *pre* registration.

Not by _my_ logic! 8^)  I was using my inferences from your logic, those
implied by "iteration is necessary for conversation".  My logic is that
regitration is _not_ a process.  It's an atomic event, which allows there to be
a distinction between premature and mis-registration.

> What I don't like about pre-registration is that i think I KNOW what it would
> have been if I had "jumped to a conclusion" rather than to have simply
> misunderstood your intention/context.   When YOU misunderstand me, I don't
> always suspect you of "jumping the gun", I sometimes recognize that we were
> not talking about the same thing, and it is likely that unless there was an
> obvious *mis*registration, the *mis*registration would have stood.  And of
> course, if we yapp on about it long enough and we come to understand what
> that misunderstanding was, we could (in hindsight now) *call* it premature
> registration...   but I think that is an artifact?

I'm  not a philosopher.  But I think registration is more primitive than
language.  It happens instantaneously and organizes concepts, not words.  It
happens a LOT, though, probably even spontaneously, without intention on the
part of the person.  In this sense, the existence of premature registration
assumes that we can be in an ambiguous (superposed?) state that doesn't
resolve/collapse to an unambiguous state.  When I speak complete gibberish to
you and end with an upward lilt, you _should_ be in an ambiguous state and not
have collapsed to a registered state.  When I say something you immediately
_understand_, then you have properly registered, even if you collapsed onto
something I didn't intend.

So, pre-registration is a state of not having registered.  Mis-registered would
be the situation where it was appropriate for you to collapse, but you
collapsed to the "wrong" state.  Premature registration would be if you
collapsed inappropriately ... i.e. too soon.  Late registration would be like
giggling to a joke you heard 20 minutes ago.

> I didn't say that Iterative Discussion always lead to convergence. I only
> meant to imply that without iteration, any mis-registration of concept has to
> hold.

I know you didn't say that.  That's why I explained my inference to the
consideration of monotonicity of the iteration.  Even if it is monotonic, the
error could stay outside the error ball forever.  But that whole discussion
ensued from _your_ idea that registration is a process, which I don't think it
is.

--
☣ glen