Glen writes:

"The authentically intelligent and well intentioned become tools for the
gamers/defectors.  In the end, it's that _faith_ in human nature, social or
evolutionary progress, or whatever that allows them to be used that way."

Another possibility is that many gamers are impatient and are not that useful
for long term efforts like interplanetary colonization.   (I think it was Musk
doing the gaming.)   It seems to me the trick is to figure out what the
counterparty is.  If it is a gamer, then game them back but don't get invested.
  If it is not a gamer, then the interaction is more complex, and a pure gamer
will have to learn how to mimic a non-gamer (learn domain expertise) or else
they'll exhaust their memory of the transactions.  In reality, people aren't
just one or the other.  One can have purpose, but also can play a "long con"
from time to time.

Marcus