Stephen -
For catholics, a confirmed unmarried man might be different than a confirmed bachelor .
being an unmarried man but not a Catholic, Confirmed or otherwise, I am not a bachelor, though my current lifestyle mimics many of the qualities of the canonical (but not Canonized) confirmed bachelor. I did, however, attend Catholic Mass for over 15 years, and raised two daughters under the Catholic Catechism up to (but not quite including) their Confirmation. I am still drawn (for reasons unknown) to women raised Catholic... perhaps I was overly influenced by Billy Joel's apprehension of Catholic Girls in "Only the Good Die Young".

<random personal anecdote>

   In my specific case, the Catholic Church declared my only
   legal/religious marriage null and void just about the time my
   daughters, the issue of that (non)Marriage, were about to accept
   Confirmation into the Catholic Church.... somehow the Church's
   retroactive declaration that no Marriage had existed between their
   parents, now officially Bastards, gave my impressionable daughters
   the perfect excuse to decline Confirmation.  I do believe neither of
   them have attended Mass even once in the intervening 25 years.   I
   myself, despite not being a Confirmed Catholic did attend Mass (and
   listened thoughtfully) for 15 years and have in fact returned for
   special occasions (weddings, funerals, baptisms, confirmations).  In
   the spirit of hair-splitting terminology, I tend to ask those who
   were raised (and usually Confirmed) Catholic but no longer
   practicing if they are "Escaped", "Reformed", or "Recovering"
   Catholics.  I doubt those three terms cover the space fully, but
   seem to provide some pretty good sampling.   Most have used the term
   "Recovering" but many are taken aback by the alternatives and the
   nuances implied.

</anecdote

This is why I split hairs about terminology... or maybe my hairsplitting of such terms is why I think the way I do?

A woman once asked me "do you love me because I am beautiful or am I beautiful because you love me?" I answered the only way possible: "Yes!" It should also be noted that we have neither married nor divorced, and I still think she is beautiful.

- Sleeve

stephen.gue...@simtable.com <mailto:stephen.gue...@simtable.com>
CEO, Simtable http://www.simtable.com <http://www.simtable.com/>
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828
twitter: @simtable