We have a word for tingo, don't we?  Its "to "borrow"".

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University

From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Steven A Smith
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 3:36 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] the role of metaphor in scientific thought

Marcus -

The _From Other Tongues_ sketch is good.  Both what is heard and what is
said could be modeled as a closure over some subjective representation.

The squiggles suggest that the types are not yet shared amongst the agents.

I agree with this, but the theme of the "From Other Tongues" collection is
that one culture (and in this case associated language) has atomic concepts
built into it (as a single common word) which do not have an atomic word in
the other language and in fact may not lend themselves to a succinct
description.  In fact, I believe entire books, multivolume sets, maybe even
libraries have been written on and dedicated to a concept native to one
culture but not to another?

My favorite: "Tingo" from Pascucense (Easter Islanders) is succinctly
described as "to gradually steal all of one's neighbor's possessions by
borrowing them one at a time and not returning them".     The fact of a
single word for this suggests that in that culture it is a much more common
occurrence than in our own, or that the number of possessions involved is a
tiny fraction of what we are familiar with, or the attachment to them by the
original owner is so minimal that it is *possible* for Alice to borrow all
of Bob's possessions before he might notice "what she did there".

Sobremesa is Spanish (and Frank and a few others may have their own input)
for "the sociable time after a meal when you have food-induced conversations
with the people you have had a meal with.

WedTech has an element of Sobremesa, but also has some of the overtones that
Stephen once observed at the Complex:  "When you get together with a group
of autistics, they might all appear to be listening intently to your every
word, when in fact they are just waiting intently for you to pause so THEY
can talk about what THEY are interested in!"

 I'm not sure I agree in the value of the interpolations and extrapolations
of ontologies.  It sounds too much like "agree to disagree".

I think that it does begin as "agree to disagree", my main formal experience
with Ontologies is the Gene Ontology and that is perhaps 10 years stale now,
but at the time, it was apparently considered to be the most elaborated
single technical ontology with a huge amount of work put forth to bring it
to it's current state.  I think the number of concepts was roughly 5,000 at
the time.

 Progress I think requires aggressively creating and destroying types and
constant by negotiation and empirical validation.

I do believe a great deal of this was done in order to come to the level of
"agreement" in place, but it was anecdotally understood that this was more
of a "Rosetta Stone" linking the more accurate and apt Ontologies from the
many subfields...   it was more useful for translation than for
understanding, and that real understanding required learning the
language/ontology of the subfields.   I don't think these are
"disagreements" but rather an awareness that there is a fuller richness
behind the formalisms agreed upon for convenience of discussion.

Many "interpretations" just put off getting to the bottom of things.   Keep
the interpretations around long enough to get parallax on a better
interpretation, then press Delete.

I do agree with this in a mild form.   Many of us here are very interested
in Etymology because often there is some deeper understanding residing in a
word's original use, just as the calling up of deprecated terms can turn out
to be useful for many reasons.

John Zingale referenced something in last Monday's Salon about how idioms
frm early string theory investigations was almost deprecated when it found
new utility in quantum loop gravity?    I am winging this if John wants to
correct me.

I think that a great deal of the "Ontology" developed by Alchemists before
the Age of Enlightenment was still useful long after the Enlightenment
brought a new way of thinking about Natural Sciences and in fact remains
useful in the form of the Periodic Table.  Similarly Newtonian vs
Relativistic Mechanics, not to mention Quantum Theory?   Each has a domain
of utility which may last past a formal resolution of the differences and an
agreement on a shared view (e.g. GUT)?

Closer to shared/reserved lexicons, I don't know if Newton's and Leibnitz'
differing notations for Calculus also differences in how facile one using
one or the other might be with the same concepts?

- Steve