From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> on behalf of glen ☣
<geprope...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, August 7, 2017 12:24:57 PM
To: friam@redfish.com
Subject: [FRIAM] the self

So, I read this the other day:

The Promise of LSD Microdoses and Other Psychedelic "Medicines"
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/the-promise-of-lsd-microdoses-and-other-psychedelic-medicines/
[https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/blogs/cache/file/D97B3C3F-60D7-46B0-B8145A7209E77CF1.jpg?w=590&h=140&5143B4FE-1259-443A-83724BE6A85B2EBB]<https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/the-promise-of-lsd-microdoses-and-other-psychedelic-medicines/>

The Promise of LSD Microdoses and Other Psychedelic
...<https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/the-promise-of-lsd-microdoses-and-other-psychedelic-medicines/>
blogs.scientificamerican.com
The Promise of LSD Microdoses and Other Psychedelic "Medicines" Psychiatrist
John Halpern discusses the psychotherapeutic potential of peyote, ayahuasca,
psilocybin ...

and was reminded of Frank's dare to read:

The Analysis of the Self
http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/A/bo8324792.html
[http://tmm.chicagodistributioncenter.com/IsbnImages/9780226450124.jpg]<http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/A/bo8324792.html>

The Analysis of the Self: A Systematic Approach to the
...<http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/A/bo8324792.html>
press.uchicago.edu
The book The Analysis of the Self: A Systematic Approach to the Psychoanalytic
Treatment of Narcissistic Personality Disorders, Heinz Kohut is published by
University ...

I subsequently forgot about it all.  But then this popped up:

The Dangerous Delusions of Richard Dawkins
http://www.alternet.org/belief/dangerous-delusions-richard-dawkins
[http://www.alternet.org/sites/default/files/styles/story_image/public/story_images/shutterstock_160874303-edited.jpg?itok=hlCQ3cSC]<http://www.alternet.org/belief/dangerous-delusions-richard-dawkins>

The Dangerous Delusions of Richard Dawkins |
Alternet<http://www.alternet.org/belief/dangerous-delusions-richard-dawkins>
www.alternet.org
His rationalist crusade creates a false impression that the only alternative to
religion is reductionist science. The recent cancellation of a book event with
Richard ...

and:

Predictably, Salon publishes a new Dawkins hit piece, and it’s as dreadful as
you’d expect
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/predictably-salon-publishes-a-new-dawkins-hit-piece-and-its-as-dreadful-as-youd-expect/
[https://secure.gravatar.com/blavatar/275a941f238847ec6ac2ac1812b88f9f?s=200&ts=1502142386]<https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/predictably-salon-publishes-a-new-dawkins-hit-piece-and-its-as-dreadful-as-youd-expect/>

Predictably, Salon publishes a new Dawkins hit piece, and it’s as dreadful as
you’d
expect<https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/predictably-salon-publishes-a-new-dawkins-hit-piece-and-its-as-dreadful-as-youd-expect/>
whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com
Believe me, the last thing I want to do this morning is sit down and take apart
another dumb article holding Richard Dawkins responsible for all the world’s
wrongs.  I saw this article a few …

I still feel (over 2 decades after making a fool of myself during a lunch at
the SFI) that the concept of "self" is the most abused concept of humanity's
entire existence.  Everyone uses it so often and in so many ways that it's pert
near meaningless, to someone like me, anyway.  What's amazing to me is that
everyone can go along on their happy pretense that they've communicated
something when they speak/write or hear/read the word.  It reminded me again of
the appeal (to me) of Hoffman's Interface Theory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYp5XuGYqqY
Do we see reality as it is? | Donald
Hoffman<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYp5XuGYqqY>
www.youtube.com
Cognitive scientist Donald Hoffman is trying to answer a big question: Do we
experience the world as it really is ... or as we need it to be? In this ever
so slightly ...

Anyway, I have no point.  Any comments/laughter are welcome. 8^)

--
☣ glen

redfish.com
FRIAM Group is an emergent organization of Complexity researchers and software
developers in Santa Fe, New Mexico interested in Applied Complexity, Artificial
Life ...

[http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7sGWLjbK7_I/WIkK7N6XteI/AAAAAAAAAQE/xVmyW4c_XVAuezfd9_8Vcqao5LUXeTG7ACK4B/s82/StrangeTrump.jpg]<http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/>

FRIAM: The Comic Edition<http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/>
friam-comic.blogspot.com
We decided that lampooning FriAM was about as much fun as shooting fish in a
barrel, and about as disrespectful (of the fish and the barrel)!