FWIW, B.C.Smith, that fount of wisdom, references "flex and slop" and cites
Hume as inspiration for the idea.  It's a tangle of reasoning that boils down
(I think - this is my own nonsense, not Smith's) to the idea that there *must*
be misunderstanding for communication to exist.  (This is an extrapolation from
his saying there must be ontological flex and slop for intentionality to
exist.)  Perfect information transmission would not be communication.  So, if
our tolerances are too demanding, then we define our _selves_ out of existence.
 But what happens on the other end is not similar.  Too *much* wiggle room and
we twitch/impute a meaning into place.  You say "ooga booga" and I think "red
barchetta".

--
☣ glen