From: Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> on behalf of glen ☣
<geprope...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 5:51:53 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] the self

OK.  This is better.  But you seem to have defined "unit" or "coherence",
rather than "self" ... I'm reminded of Simon's "near decomposability" in The
Sciences of the Artificial.  To promote a unit to a self, you're going to have
to include some sort of loop, like propri- or inter-oception.  And that raises
the idea that some (exteroception) variables are unbound.  If the "unit" has
more unbound variables than bound ones and/or the loops see less weight/traffic
than the unbound ones, then the "unit" isn't coherent ... not a unit.  By that
reasoning, we should be able to parse the unit into parts whose excision does
not (appreciatively) affect the unit versus parts whose excision fundamentally
changes it, including destroying it.

I'd posit that a passable definition of "self" is the collection of parts that
can't be excised without causing fundamental changes.  So, the loss of things
like hair, fingernails, skin cells, maybe teeth, maybe 1 kidney, 1/2 a liver,
etc. preserve the unit.

But even *that* definition is hopelessly flawed because it passes the buck to
"fundamental changes".  Is myself invariant across the loss of a tooth?  What
were we talking about?

--
☣ glen