Nick,

In science, these three terms are generally interchangeable. Their common usage is that they all describe activities, or "events", that are "subject to chance". Such activities, events or processes that are described by these terms are governed by the laws of probability. They all describe activities, events, or "happenings" whose repetitions do not always produce the same outcomes even when given the same inputs every time (initial conditions). In other words, uncertainty is involved.

However, like most words, these enjoy other usage, meanings, as well. For example "random" is sometimes used to mean "disorganized" or "lacking in specific pattern". This is a very different meaning than "activities that don't always produce the same outcome given the same inputs". Consider what a math formula for each of these tow meanings wold consist of. One of them would be based on probabilities; but the other would involve stationary relationships.

On 8/8/17 5:31 PM, Nick Thompson wrote:

Grant,

I think I know the answer to this question, but want to make sure:

What is the difference beween calling a process “stochastic”, “indeterminate”, or “random”?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University

http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/ <http://home.earthlink.net/%7Enickthompson/naturaldesigns/>

*From:*Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] *On Behalf Of *Grant Holland
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 08, 2017 6:51 PM
*To:* The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>; glen ☣<geprope...@gmail.com>
*Subject:* Re: [FRIAM] Future of humans and artificial intelligence

Thanks for throwing in on this one, Glen. Your thoughts are ever-insightful. And ever-entertaining!

For example, I did not know that von Neumann put forth a set theory.

On the other hand... evolution /is/ stochastic. (You actually did not disagree with me on that. You only said that the reason I was right was another one.) A good book on the stochasticity of evolution is "Chance and Necessity" by Jacques Monod. (I just finished rereading it for the second time. And that proved quite fruitful.)

G.