Interesting timing. Although I don't do much software development these
days, I've been fiddling around with Clojure off and on for the last few
years. I conceptually like the ideas behind it, but it takes immutability
to more of an extreme than I feel is necessary (e.g. unless you use its
software transactional memory constructs, there is no way to re-bind a
local variable). Also, the programming environment with the most advanced
support for it is emacs, and I haven't drank enough koolaid to grok it
fully. So, just last night I decided to download Racket (a scheme dialect
with a nice simple IDE). So far, I have been having a blast with it. Part
of the reason I downloaded it is that I wanted to run programs from the
book "The Little Schemer", which among other things is a crash course on
replacing iterating and mutating of data structures with purely functional
recursive solutions.