This paragraph (for whatever reason) makes progress toward my counter-argument
AGAINST both Monod-via-Grant and Wagner-via-Jenny.  While it may be true that
mutation is necessary for innovation, it's insufficient to claim that
innovation comes only through mutation.  Imagine two point mutations on
different genes, in different individuals, neither of which (for now) produce a
phenotype change (ala "neutral networks").  Then those individuals go on to
reproduce for a few generations, passing along their respective mutations,
never seeing a phenotypic change in their lineages.  But them the two lineages
mingle to produce an offspring with both mutations, where the 2 mutations
together produce a phenotypic change.

Can we truly say that the crossover had nothing to do with the "innovation" ...
that it only preserved the innovation and the mutation caused it?  A neutral
mutation can't be considered an "innovation", right?

--
␦glen?