Glen -

I am inclined to agree with you, but am left somewhat empty-handed with:

   "because ALL rule sets are faulty!  Damnit."

my instincts are with you on this, yet in some kind of Godelian (not Gordian) knot I find myself:

   A) questioning the "rule" you just stated.

        and

   B) finding myself conjuring (fuzzy?) rules to replace the crisp ones
   I resent/resist!

Are Heuristics or Patterns also rules? Can we suppress any desire/need to have formal rules and not just discover (or never notice) that we have an implicit rule set embedded in our intuition from our genetic and cultural origins, informed at best by personal experiences?

I'd like to imagine that we *can* transcend all rules (explicit/implicit, crisp/fuzzy, etc.) but am not quite sure what that would mean or why?

- Steve