Obama's tweet about the events in Charlottesville got the most "likes" of
any tweet in twitter history.  It is a quote from Nelson Mandela:  "No one
is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his
background or his religion … People must learn to hate, and if they can
learn to hate, they can be taught to love … For love comes more naturally
to the human heart than its opposite,”

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Steven A Smith <sasm...@swcp.com> wrote:

> Marcus/Eric -
>

> Great observations, both.   I think this cuts to (part of) the heart of
> the matter.
>

> I just recently watched "Glass Castle" (current run at Violet Crown) with
> Woody Harrelson playing the role of a fairly intelligent (his daughter, the
> memoirist characterizes him as brilliant) but highly dysfunctional father
> of 4 who himself has (mostly/almost) escaped the small Appalachian
> coal-mining town he was raised in by an acutely abusive mother and an
> apathetic/dysfunctional father and greater community.   The family lives a
> vagabond life with Harrelson's character (Rex) leading them on an
> alternatingly merry and curiosity-driven chase through skipping out on bill
> collectors and trying to find the "next big opportunity" and "escape the
> forces out to repress us!".    It is (IMO) a great story of a nearly
> effective attempt (by the parents) to escape/transcend their own
> dysfunctional roots and the mostly effective experience of the children
> escaping their own (passed down a generation) from that half-functional
> platform.
>

> I also picked up (at a "tiny library" in a neighborhood) a copy JD Vance's
> "Hillbilly Legacy", a memoir written by a 31 year old Harvard educated
> lawyer, now living happily (and presumably functionally) in San Francisco
> with his wife and child(ren?), but still quite attached
> emotionally/romantically to his own roots in Appalachia (a small KY coal
> mining town) and the Rustbelt (Middletown OH, aka MiddleTucky) where all of
> his family and most of his childhood friends still live and vote for and
> continue to support Trump.
>

> The common thread is the abject hopelessness that surrounded the people
> locked into those environments by circumstance, including lack of
> perspective to "just leave".   Vance credits his Grandparents who raised
> him most of his life for having had enough perspective to shield him from
> the worst of that and to encourage/help him "just leave".   His chronicle
> (I also listened to an NPR book interview when it came out maybe a year
> ago) includes feeling that he had "done everything in his power to waste
> his life up until about 18 years old" and looking at his cohort and family,
> might use the term "but for the grace of God, there go I".
>

> My Pollyanna (a fairly significant player in my personal Pantheon of
> Personalities which helps me cope with the kinds of Cosmic Ennui and
> Existential Angst that comes with trying to be a thinking/caring person in
> these hyper-connected, seemingly chaotic times) has me looking for a
> "bright side" of all of this.
>
> I particularly want to call out the following quote from Marcus:
>
> *A healthy society is one where individuals can mature to the point they
> can begin to doubt the meaning in their own anxiety (whether by themselves,
> with their shrink or their spiritual authority) and make it to the next
> [...]

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

Visiting Professor in Integrative Peacebuilding
Saint Paul University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

merlelefk...@gmail.com <merlelef...@gmail.com>
mobile:  (303) 859-5609