Yeah, bullets are another matter entirely.  It's easy to be "pure defense" with
sticks and such.  Self-defense in the context of bullets is one of incoherent,
asymmetric, or preemptive.  People who tell me they have a gun for self-defense
risk a confrontation.  Guns are purely offensive.  They are nothing but murder
weapons ... unless you're good enough to hit the other guys bullet with your
bullet!  So, when someone says guns are for self-defense, what they really mean
is they intend to murder people if they feel threatened.

--
gⅼеɳ