As usual, the first weekend of the month is chock full of BES activities.

   * It begins with the *1st Saturday Coffee House*, Jan. 3 at 7:00 pm,
     featuring poet/musician Tom Swiss
   * The *Poetry Group* meets Sun. Jan. 4 at 9:30 am
   * Platform, Sun Jan 4 at 10:30 am,  *An Electricity Model for the
     21st Century*, Stuart Hirsch, BES Member (see details below)
   * Sun., Jan. 4  12:30 pm,  *Board Meeting*, members welcome
* Finally this Sunday bring in *MOVABLE TREATS for MOVABLE FEAST* Baking warms up the whole house, so why not do some extra this month and give even more so Moveable Feast can also give more? Remember to wrap your desserts in serving size portions and label
     them. Mark your desserts if they contain nuts. Avoid desserts that
     have heavy icings or that contain alcohol. They will be greatly
     appreciated.

_Other activities this month:
_

   * *NEW! Movie Night:* Fri., Jan. 9 - 7:30 pm  *Daughters of
     Wisdom*,"an intimate profile of the nuns of Kala Pongo, a rare
     Buddhist monastery for women high in a remote region of
     northeastern Tibet." The monastery is "quietly contributing to the
     empowerment of women in Tibetan Buddhist culture."
   * *Mindfulness Meditation:* Sun., Jan. 11 - 9:30 am  Come and sit
     with us (on chairs, not meditation cushions unless you bring your
     own) for a guided meditation based on the teachings of Thich Nhat
     Hanh. No meditation experience necessary.  Facilitated by *Karen
     Elliott*.
   * *Ethical Action Breakfast:*  Sun., Jan. 18 -  9:00 am  Bring a $5
     contribution and be prepared to eat, listen, and talk about
     putting our ethics into action. What's happening with the Red Line
     project? What about the death penalty in Maryland? Come find out
     the answers.
   * *Newcomers' Meeting:* Sun. Jan. 25 -  12:30 pm  New to the Society
     and interested in learning more? Attended a meeting or two?
     Thinking about joining? Come to the Newcomers' Meeting, and learn
     more about Ethical Culture and about our Society---its history,
     its philosophy, and its organization. Meetings last about one hour.

_Sunday Platforms:  10:30 am   _

Jan. 4 *An Electricity Model for the 21st Century*, Stuart Hirsch, B.E.S. Member

   Today Maryland, the nation, and the world face increasing energy
   demands, the global warming, and environmental destruction in no
   small part caused by the production of electricity. Unlike other
   energy technologies which can be stored and used when
   necessary, electricity must be supplied on demand. Thus our current
   electric utility model evolved into its present expensive,
   inefficient, environmentally destructive, vulnerable, and socially
   unjust system.  This talk will examine another option to our current
   electric utility model and present methods of transitioning from our
   current 19th century model to a 21st century system that can meet
   our demands for electricity locally and throughout the world via an
   electric power system modeled after the internet .

   *Stuart Hirsch* is a retired electronics technician and project
   manager with an interest in energy efficiency and advanced
   technology. Stuart has given talks to other humanist groups
   including Baltimore Secular Humanists and Human Values Network, on
   this and other energy related topics.

Jan. 11 *Ending Homelessness*, Kevin Lindamood, Vice President of External Affairs for Health Care for the Homeless

   Kevin Lindamood will discuss the realities and underlying causes of
   contemporary homelessness in America, the work of Health Care for
   the Homeless in Maryland to reduce the incidence and burdens of
   homelessness, and the public policies necessary to build a more
   socially just society in which homelessness is increasingly rare and
brief.
   Kevin Lindamood has worked at the intersection of homelessness and
   health since 1993 as an outreach worker, clinical social worker,
   city bureaucrat, community organizer, public policy advocate,
   fundraiser, and nonprofit administrator.  He received a Masters
   Degree in Social Work and Community Organization from the University
   of Michigan in 1997.  Kevin was a past organizer for the National
   Health Care for the Homeless Council, working to integrate direct
   service and advocacy at nonprofit organizations. Currently, Kevin is
   the Vice President of External Affairs for Health Care for the
   Homeless, where he oversees the agency's community relations, public
   policy, and financial development work.  Kevin also is an adjunct
   instructor for the University of Maryland School of Social Work .

Jan. 18 *Anti-Racist Activism in Ethical Culture*, Hugh Taft-Morales, Ethical Culture Leader-in-Training

   In 1922, Langston Hughes wrote that, "Tomorrow, I'll be at the
   table, when company comes nobody'll dare say to me, 'Eat in the
   kitchen,' then. Besides, they'll see how beautiful I am and be
   ashamed." Eighty-five years later, while diversity in the White
   House holds promise for America, there are still few African
   Americans at the table. Corporate leadership is still predominantly
   white, a disproportionately high rate of black men are in prison,
   and people of color suffer disproportionately from poverty and
   unemployment.  As an inheritor of invisible racial privilege and
   liberal guilt, Hugh Taft-Morales will share his insights about
   moving towards an empowering multicultural perspective.  Platform
   Theme Question: How does Ethical Culture begin to get more diversity
   of all forms at our table in a way that honors the inherent worth of
   every one and strengthens our humanist faith?

   *Hugh Taft-Morales* is an Ethical Culture Leader-in-Training
   enjoying serving the Northern Virginia Ethical Society as an Intern
   Leader for a year.  He is finishing a three-year leadership
   certification program with the Humanist Institute.  He taught
   philosophy and history for twenty-five years in Washington, D. C..
    Hugh served on the Board of the Washington Ethical Society from
   2002-2006, the last year as president. He will serve this coming
   year as Secretary of the AEU National Leaders Council.
   In 1986 he earned a Masters in Philosophy from University of Kent at
   Canterbury, England. He lives in Takoma Park with his wife, Maureen,
   a Latin American analyst for the Congressional Research Service.
    They have three wonderful children -- Sean (21), Maya (16), and
   Justin (13).  Sean is currently serving as FES representative to the
   AEU Board.  Hugh's hobbies include yoga, squash, watching NCAA
   college basketball, writing and singing lyrics and playing guitar.

Jan. 25 *In Search of Time*, Dan Falk, Science Writer

   Time is at once intimately familiar and yet deeply mysterious.  It
   is thoroughly in-tangible: we say it flows like a river - yet when
we try to examine that flow, the river seems reduced to a mirage. No wonder philosophers, poets, and scientists from Aristotle to
   Einstein have grappled with the enigma of time.
   The mystery of time has captivated science journalist Dan Falk, who
   sets off on an intellectual journey in his latest book, In Search of
   Time: The Science of a Curious Dimension (St. Martin's Press,
   November 2008).  In this illustrated talk, Dan will discuss some of
   the most intriguing aspects of
   time:  how our ancestors first learned to measure it; how Newton and
   Leibniz argued over its nature; how Einstein linked time and space;
   and a brief look at the physics of time travel and the paradoxes it
   seems to entail.

   *Dan Falk* has written about science for the Globe and Mail, the
   Toronto Star, The Boston Globe, The Walrus, SkyNews, Astronomy, Sky
   & Telescope, and New Scientist, and has been a regular contributor
   to the Canadian radio programs Ideas and Quirks & Quarks on the CBC
   radio network.  His awards include a Gold Medal for Radio
   Programming from the New York Festivals and the Science Writing
   Award in Physics and Astronomy from the American Institute of
   Physics. His first book, Universe on a T-Shirt, won the 2002 Science
   in Society Journalism Award from the Canadian Science Writers'
   Association. He lives in Toronto.