Dear friends,

The Baltimore Ethical Society would like to share the
following statement from the American Ethical Union:

----------

The American Ethical Union Celebrates
the Supreme Court's Decision to Protect Same-Sex Couples

The American Ethical Union (AEU) celebrates with justice loving people
across the country. The U. S. Supreme Court's decision that the
federal government cannot discriminate against married lesbian and gay
couples for the purposes of determining federal benefits and
protections is an ethical decision bringing us closer to full marriage
equality. We look forward to the day when every loving couple can
publicly and legally declare their commitment to one another.

The AEU has long supported the right of same sex couples to marry and
hopes the decision today moves the country closer to universal
acceptance of this right. We continue to work for social justice for
all.

The AEU also congratulates the thousands of couples in the State of
California whose marriages are deemed legal with the Supreme Court's
refusal to decide on California's Proposition 8, and looks forward to
the resumption of same sex marriages in that state.

Executive Director, Bart Worden, noted, "This is a great day for
marriage equality. And, though we realize there is much to be done,
our hopes have been buoyed by the court's decision which has also
increased our confidence that we will soon see nationwide legalization
of same sex marriage!"

--
Emil Volcheck, President
Baltimore Ethical Society