On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 01:23:23AM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> "Copying" was a bad choice of words.  With fvwm3, what I would suggest is
> taking the current fvwm2 repository (including all of its branches) and
> making that the basis for fvwm3.  That way, we can change it however we like.
> We're then able to link fvwm2's repo in to easily backport changes using
> standard git commands, etc.  It's something I'd be happy to run through if
> that's required, or wanted.

Controversially, I've gone ahead and created a fvwm3 repository [1].  It has
been set up as fvwm2 was; the only difference is there's no tags.  The master
branch is the same from fvwm2.

I've aleady gone ahead and made fvwm3 rename key parts.  So for example, the
binary is currently called 'fvwm3' and the share prefix installs to
$PREFIX/share/fvwm3.  I'm not necessarily expecting this to remain as-is for
too long, but it does mean that fvwm3 can be installed along side fvwm2.  I've
only lightly tested this.  The work was originally done on
'ta/change-to-fvwm3' [2].  Any points on this, please let me know.

Some questions which were raised before:

1.  How do I port fixes from fvwm3 -> fvwm2?

You can do this with remotes.  From fvwm3's POV:

  git remote add fvwm2 g...@github.com:fvwmorg/fvwm.git
  git fetch -n fvwm2
  git checkout -t origin/fvwm2 fvwm2-master
  git cherry-pick COMMIT1 COMMIT2
  git push

This will also handle file rename cases.  So for example, fvwm/fvwm3.c would
map to fvwm/fvwm.c in fvwm2's repository, as git understands file renames.

2.  What about the website?

Lots of ways to handle this.  We can either:

* Add a page or two to the website [3] and references items in fvwmorg/fvwm3

Or:

* Add pages directly to fvwm/fvwm3

I'd go with the first option; it keeps everything in one place then.

Any questions, do please ask.

-- Thomas Adam

[1]  https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm3
[2]  https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm3/tree/ta/change-to-fvwm3