On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, seventh guardian wrote:

On 8/7/06, Dominik Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there any way that the module interface allows keeping track of changes
> to the window flags of a window? Currently FvwmPager allows moving of
> FixedPosition mini-windows, but the main window does not move. Just
> checking for IS_FIXED in MoveWindow doesn't work if the FixedPosition flag
> was set after the window was added to the pager (i.e with 'WindowStyle
> FixedPosition') since the flags get outdated.
>
> I've been looking some at the module interface, but I think that no
> message exist to indicate change in window flags. Is this correct?

Actually, the window flags are part of some message, but they should
not be used.  Looking at a flag does not solve the problem anyway
because the decision whether a window can be moved or not is much
more complex (affected by a number of styles).

What about providing modules a way to ask fvwm to move the windows
instead of the module moving them through X calls? This way the
"sanity checks" would be done in fvwm, leaving all these problems to
the window manager. It would work the same as moving the viewport. The
pager asks fvwm to move the viewport, it doesn't directly move all the
windows.

But it would require a rewrite of the pager, and some major changes to
the fvwm code.. :( not a task for 2.5 I guess... Even so, can this be
a >2.6 feature?

The mechanism for asking fvwm to move a window is already there. It's just to send the Move command. However, this does not fix the problem, since there is no way for the pager to know if the move was successful or not. It could move the mini window back to te original position on button release and then send the move command and wait for a corresponding configure-package to know the new position if the window was moved. This however would cause windows jumping back and forth in the pager.

Some sort of meanpath would be to add a message for ignored requests and have it have the same info as the configure window package, but that's definately a hack. Both these 'solutions' would allow the miniature window to move, but have them jump back on non-moveable windows. The best thing would be to not allow movement on non-moveable windows to start in the pager view.

/Viktor