On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:25:44AM -0500, MK wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:12:08 -0600
> Jonathan Kotta <jpko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 7:56 PM, MK <halfcountp...@intergate.com>
> > wrote:
> > > But I don't see a way to call a function on a window by name? ?Am I
> > > wrong?
> >
> > Have look at "List of Conditional Commands" in the manpage.  Look at
> > All, Next, and Prev in particular.  You can also use WindowId if you
> > know the window's ID.
>
> Thanks, that will probably work, at least for the first part.
>
> However, I now notice that FvwmPager has a zero length title in the
> window list.  Does anyone know of a way to give it a name, or do I have
> to patch the FvwmPager source?

Eh?  Are you sure you haven't set the style WindowListSkip on it or
something?  By default, the name of the FvwmPager is the name of the current
desk you're on, as referenced through either the deprecated option
"*FvwmPager: Label", or more preferrably:  DesktopName.

But patch the source?  No.

> Tangential question: am I missing something or is WindowId bordeline
> useless?  Isn't this like saying "You can use the exact address of the
> variable if you know it"?  Sure, but it is unlikely to remain the same
> between invocations and AFAICT must be hardcoded in .fvwm2rc...

Oh, it has a lot of uses in passing around specific window IDs to functions
to refer to specific windows -- and is used a lot internally by FVWM as
well.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.