| On 24 January 2012 14:54, Dan Espen <des...@verizon.net> wrote:
| > I think any platform that supports XDG is going to have python.
|
| It will; but I think it's best described the other way round -- that
| is, any platform that has python installed can use XDG -- and I say
| that only because of the availability of the python XDG bindings.
| Not that it really matters to me, but it is worth investigating if
| these bindings come with python or are external.  I'm thinking about
| packaging.

 The bindings are an external package, not part of the core Python
distribution (on Fedora they are packaged as 'pyxdg', on Ubuntu
'python-xdg').  On Fedora the package seem to be part of the default
installation if you have the Gnome desktop (Totem and IBus both depend
on the package).

(I don't have any clean stock Ubuntu desktop machines to see if the
package is there in their Gnome setup. An Ubuntu server install with
basic X packages installed doesn't have them.)

        - cks