On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 08:16:13PM -0400, Dan Espen wrote:
> Moving the Fvwm-web source to Github won't help if we still need to
> publish using Jason's services.

So I've taken a look at this, and have noted the following:

* PHP is used to regenerate the theming components of the site;
* PHP is used to render in from the fvwm repo, the contents of files from:

  NEWS

* PHP is used to ensure the theme is applied consistently for the borders for
  "window" (the default theme).

What happens via github.io pages is that static content can be used for this.

I'm starting to think that we have no desire or need for PHP at all for the
website.  Before the use of static HTML generators, etc., it made a lot of
sense.  Additionally, there's a lot one can do with CSS which mitigates the
need for PHP as we're currently using it for the website.

As for the linking in NEWS/FAQ -- the NEWS file in particular is obsoleted,
given that git commit logs can be used to gather the same information.  That
said, if we do retain NEWS for releases, we can just upload a separate set of
notes for that against each release in the releases area of Github [1].  It's
a part of the process.

The FAQ therfore, is part of the website and it should be moved into that
repository.

I've since renamed the fvwm-web repository [2] to match the expectations of
what github.io expects.

I'd really (REALLY!) be interested in someone coming up with a proof of
concept on what a FVWM website might look like using a static HTML generator
that github.io accepts, just to prove my points above.  I won't be doing that
work, however, but if someone does want to give this a go, do please let us
know!

Kindly,
Thomas Adam

[1]  https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm/releases