On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Thomas Funk <t.f...@web.de> wrote:

> Hi Jaimos,
>
> But the small logo (left upper corner) overlaps the main menu 'FVWM' :(
> Used browser: Chromium 48.0.2564.116

​The "logo" is now the menu entry, so instead of just saying "FVWM" I put
the logo in its place. The logo except for looks works just as any other
entry in the menu. So what you see is expected.​

> It's a pitty that you've removed the upper frame/part/block with the
> heading. Or is it disappear and should normally available? That would
> explain the logo on the 'FVWM' menu point o_O

​The new design was to instead of just have the header wrapped in a window
frame is to have the whole site be wrapped in a window frame. So I took
away the top window and wrapped every page in a full window frame. The
title is now in the titlebar of the window frame.

I could add another header above it, but I though it was mostly used space
on the page that isn't needed. All the header did was repeat the title of
the page another place in bigger letters. But I could easily add it back
and then have two windows, a title window and a main content window.

The new design was after some conversations in irc with Thomas Adam, the
idea to put each page wrapped in a window as opposed to just the
header/page title.
​

> Another point which looks a little bit weird are the framed words in e.g.
> manpages or the Mailing Lists page. Probably these text pieces were
> Monospace before conversion? Is it possible to remove the frame?

​The sites are generated by markdown which generates in-line code and code
blocks. I have been thinking about the formatting of these, but I like them
being seperate from noral text. The code blocks should be used for things
people would type into a config file, terminal, etc.

I do think some styles on these code blocks need to be updated (and maybe
some work/policy about what should be put in code blocks and what shouldn't
be). The FAQ has been updated and makes better use of them, but I have only
applied that to the FAQ page. In my TODO list is to try to make use of code
blocks more uniform.

I'm open for suggestions to make it look nicer (I like the borders myself).
Other common examples are using a slightly different color background or
some other method to highlight code blocks vs descriptions.
​

> Then the text blocks right of the screenshots. It would look be better
> if there's a distance to the upper line. Likewise the same gap as between
> screenshot and line.

​Screenshot page needs some work. Right now is just a simple thing I came
up with. In my TODO list is to get this to the point that the screenshots
are generated by Jekyll and all that needs to be done to add/remove them is
to add/remove a directory and it automatically builds the new entry.

I will take this in mind when I get back to the screenshot page.
​

> What about the perlib pages and the ... uhm ... 'unstable' documentation
> pages (http://fvwm.org/doc/unstable/index.html)? Will they appear again
> in the future?

​I'm unsure what you mean about perlib pages, I'll go look at what was
there. I took the whole unstable part out as that is no longer the
development model but didn't consider until it has been brought up that
there are some features in the unstable man pages not in the normal ones.

Currently the manpages were generated by what I have on my machine using
man2html. But there is work to be done as you mention. And I only took
manpages that started with fvwm*.

Also see the previous email from Thomas Adam about moving the man pages to
markdown. Once this is complete and the manpages are markdown it will be
easy to add them (no more ugly scripts using man2html). I will just take
the manpages in markdown and let Jekyll wrap them into the static site.

This should hopefully include the perlib manpages I missed, and also
include a better index like is also located in the unstable docs on the old
page.
​

> And in the end one typo:
> - Downloads: 'The latest sable release' ;)

​Thanks, I like easy fixes.
​

> A very big thanks for your good work and I hope I haven't hurt you with
> these advices 0_0 ...

​Keep sending them, feed back is the best way to ensure I get my design
across correctly and make it better.
​

> Btw I have some website links for our 'Links' page:
>
> History
> -------
> In the beginning was ...
> http://edulinux.homeunix.org/fvwm/user_enumerate.html
>
> Other FVWM-related sites
> ------------------------
> How Styles are Applied
> http://linuxgazette.net/127/adam.html
>
> Fvwm and Session Management
> http://linuxgazette.net/100/adam.html
> (perhaps a little bit outdated but anyway interesting)
>

> ​
I'll add them, My only concern is ensure they are useful so we don't put to
much noise in trying to direct users to useful sties to help them with fvwm.
​

​jaimos​