>>  All of this is kind of a hack. VMWare wants 100% of the mouse and
>> keyboard events to go to the virtual machine without your host
>> environment getting in the way, even if what you're doing normally
>> has special meaning to the host.
>
> I see.  However, if it does that, it cannot expect to be able to
> communicate with the outside world, as it seems to do.  Maybe this *is* the
> Problem after all.
>
> @Jürgen: Could you try whether the attached patch helps?  (It
> disables all grabs during function execution and *does* break
> complex functions with non-immediate actions.)

I tried the patch.
Unfortunately, it makes no difference to our problem.

After all, the error message from Fvwm about the failed grab

   [fvwm][ComplexFunction]:
   <<ERROR>> Grab failed in function EWMHActivateWindowFunc, unable to
   execute immediate action

occurs when Vmware is switched _to_ fullscreen mode. And at this stage no
window is lost yet. This happens only when switching back from fullstreen
to normal mode.

Juergen