> A short update:  Version 6.0.6 requires an old kernel, version
> 12.5 is downloading now (which is a matter of several hours given
> the local internet speed).

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this might be an issue.

Each version of Vmware Workstation or Player supports only very few versions
of the Linux kernel. (This has the very annoying consequence that one has to
purchase a new license every few kernel updates.)

For a rough orientation, Vmware offers the following compatibility map on
their web page:

   http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2088579

It maps supported Linux distributions for each version of Vmware Workstation.
(Unfortunately they don't list kernel versions, only versions of
distributions.)

To use that list for Vmware Player, one has to know that its version numbers
differ from those of the corresponding Workstation counterpart. While I
didn't find it documented in a closed form anywhere, I guessed the following
correspondences from gossips in the web (they might be false):

    Player  4   <->   Workstation  8   supp. kernel 2.6.18 to 2.6.37
    Player  5   <->   Workstation  9   supp. kernel 2.6.37
    Player  6   <->   Workstation 10   supp. kernel 3.1.0 to 3.11.6
    Player  7   <->   Workstation 11   supp. kernel 3.7.10 to 3.18
    Player 12   <->   Workstation 12   supp. kernel 3.7.10 to 4.7

In addition, the compatibility to a given kernel strongly depends on the
sub-version of the Vmware product.

> I'll have to find some 64-bit box to run it.

If I can assist you in some way, please let me know.

Juergen