ignore previous reponse...
  totally off-base...
just had an issue with fvwm finding pixmaps and thus not finding
  the icon when iconified (and thus being absent/invisible)...
nothing at all to do with layering...
blah... should not respond to half-read msgs...

B.

B. [simoN] Karhan wrote:
Just a thought, but it may be the change to the /default/config
   image path that was introduced into 2.6.7.
previous versions used the "--with-imagepath" value to hardcode
   the system path for images.  i rectified my personal build
   by adding the old imagepath to fvwm/fvwm.c at the point where
   it sets it to /default-config/images.

B.