Thomas Adam writes:

> > A user interested in learning about something as basic and central as
> > initialization should not need to root thru mailing list archives.
>
> On the contrary -- there's many bits and pieces of information which gets
> mentioned which simply never makes it into the man page; either because it's
> too specific to a given problem, or more likely than this no one sends in a
> patch to include it in the man page.

Not sure why you say "on the contrary", since the above supports rather than
contradicts what I said: You rue that "no one sends in a patch to include it
in the man page", which is essentially agreeing with my view that widely-
relevant initialization info ought to be in the man page.

> I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

I'll probably take this on over the next few weekends and submit a patch that
will redact both INITIALIZATION and CONFIGURATION sections, and also address
typos and grammar issues throughout as well.

I'll undoubtedly have questions; would you prefer that I submit them here or
to fvwm-workers list?

> Ah -- I misremembered then.  Looking at the history, yes, 2.6.1 always
> unconditionally runs fvwm-menu-desktop.  In CVS, this was changed to not
> do this.
>
> You'll have to use branch-2_6 anyway if you were serious about this
> documentation patch, so please just use that version of FVWM and your
> problem will go away.

I'll pick up branch-2_6 when I start to work on the doc update.

Btw, as an aside: Out of curiosity, I picked up the latest main branch head
snapshot (fvwm-snap-20110724) thinking that perhaps it might also have this
fix, but it evidently does not (fvwm.c is identical to 2.6.1). This makes me
wonder: Roughly how often are branch-2_6 updates being merged into the main
branch?