Hello,

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 04:46:04PM -0700, don fisher wrote:
> I have one question relating to FVWM-2.6.1. As I recall, in previous
> versions if I highlighted a string I could paste that string in
> another window. Now if I highlight a string in a source window and
> try to paste it into another window (emacs buffers), FVWM appears to
> remember the last string highlighted in the destination window and
> paste that string. Is there a way to make the cut and past global
> across all windows?

This has nothing to do with FVWM, nor is this behaviour specific to any FVWM
version.  FVWM doesn't do anything to the PRIMARY clipboard.  Since you
mention Emacs, I can only conclude therefore GTK; and that might well do
something odd.

Look to a program called "parcellite", and run that; ensuring that in its
preferences ou select the option to "synchronise" clipboards.  Such things
have worked for me in the past.

> I would like to know if there are links on how to start FVWM under
> the major distributions like Redhat and Ubuntu. I currently edit
>
> /etc/X11/default-display-manager

This is correct on Debian (and implied Ubuntu) at least.

> and force an invalid entry (turning gdm into dm). I can then get to
> a window and issue the startx command.

That too is OK, or simply uninstall GDM/XDM, etc.  But again, this doesn't
have anything to do with FVWM either, and for more specific information, I
suggest you ask this question on a more specific mailing list if you've
other problems editing the above file, etc.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Deep in my heart I wish I was wrong.  But deep in my heart I know I am
not." -- Morrissey ("Girl Least Likely To" -- off of Viva Hate.)