On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Thomas Adam wrote:

This is why you use FvwmEvent and the SendToModule directive:

        DestroyModuleConfig FE-UpdateDeskNum
        *FE-UpdateDeskNum: new_desk NewFunc

        AddToFunc StartFunction I Module FvwmEvent FE-UpdateDeskNum

        DestroyFunc NewFunc
        AddToFunc   NewFunc
        + I SendToModule MyDesk0 ChangeButton desklabel Title $0

Thanks for the hints towards FvwmEvent (I thought something like that but first of all did not know the names of the applicable event !)

anyhow, I did that (testing in FvwmConsole), I just replaced the last statement with

+ I SendToModule MyDesk0 ChangeButton desklabel Title "desk $0"

If I call NewFunc "x" the button label is updated fine

However as soon as invoke Module FvwmEvent FE-UpdateDeskNum I get in the error console twice this message

FE-UpdateDeskNum: incomplete event definition *FE-UpdateDeskNumnew_desk
FE-UpdateDeskNum: incomplete event definition *FE-UpdateDeskNumnew_desk

in fact I do not understand ho FvmwEvent passes argument $0 to the function !!

(BTW I am using fvwm 2.5.26)

Thanks in advance for any further hint

Do not like Firefox >=29 ?  Get Pale Moon !  http://www.palemoon.org