There are some desktop applications like evince and gThumb that either
don't exist in mate or are not up-to-date. I therefore prefer using
the latest gnome apps.

Meanwhile I have improved my patch to decorations.c (after realizing
that the resource name is available through the FvwmWindow pointer!)
so it is a bit better as it at black lists on the application name and
not its title:

    // Ugly work around to force border width and
    // title on some gnome applications.
    if (strcmp(t->class.res_name,"eog")==0
        || strcmp(t->class.res_name,"evince")==0
        || strcmp(t->class.res_name,"nautilus")==0
        || strcmp(t->class.res_name,"gthumb")==0
        )
          decor = -1;

I still hope to figure out why the style settings do not provide the
same functionality.

Regards,
Dov