I suppose I've found a "workaround" for this, but I still have no idea what was
happening here.

I noticed that there was a menu item to configure my .fvwmrc file.  I selected
all of the optional modules and restart fvwm.  When it started back up, I found
I had more options for seeing what windows were available, including a
right-click menu that let me select particular windows, including the ones that
weren't even visible as thumbnails in the virtual panner area (I don't know
what fvwm calls that).  With that option, I was able to restore the missing
windows.