Michael Großer <michael.gros...@gmx.de> writes:

> Michael Großer wrote:
>> Dan Espen wrote:

>>> Not that I know of.
>>>
>>> What are you trying to do?
>>
>> Without awaiting the answer about what is tried to do:
>>
>> If no official way helps, there is always a dirty but "creative"
>> approach.
>>
>> - Minimize the particular windows that you want to ignore
>> - Hide their icons
>> - Place your new window
>> - Unhide the hidden icons
>> - Reopen the minimized windows
>>
>> The process would perhaps have an optical effect that is not so good
>> looking, but the "creative" approach could solve your problem if no other
>> expert delivers a better solution :-)
>
> Another idea:
>
> - Move the particular windows to a desktop that solely exists for that purpose
> - Place your new window
> - Move the cleared away windows back to their original place

Thanks, these are good ideas :)

I haven't figured out how to use multiple desks, though.  I tried that
once and apparently got multiple desks just by naming some, but no way
to switch between them.

What I'm trying to do is achieving more reasonable window placement.  I
found that one small window can make it so that a larger window is not
placed the way I would consider reasonable.  I found that out by
manually moving the small window around to see what placement I would
get and concluded that if fvwm would ignore the small window when it
figures out the placement of the larger one, the larger window would be
placed well.  So I wondered if I could have fvwm ignore the small
window.

Now you suggest to move the small window out of the way automatically
rather than manually --- something I haven't thought of :)

Is there some way to make it so that a function which moves the small
window out of the way is always called when fvwm is about to figure out
where to place a window?  And how do I prevent this function from being
called when the window that is moved out of the way is placed?

(In most cases, I probably won't need that because I'm using starter
functions to start applications which create windows, but applications
can create windows by themselves ...)

--
Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
might swallow us.  Finally, this fear has become reasonable.