On Sat, 17 Oct 2015, lee wrote:

I haven't figured out how to use multiple desks, though. I tried that once and apparently got multiple desks just by naming some, but no way to switch between them.

As other said, people usually use the pager to move among multiple desks (or multiple pages of one desk, or multiple pages of multiple desks), but one can implement other ways ... menus in the root menu, buttons in a bar or widget, keyboard accelerators, menus in the window menu (to move a window to occupy a given desk or page). I have implemented most of those in my .fvwmrc although I do not use all of them with the same frequency (see http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/WWW/Opinions/window.html for screenshots and links to examples)

Do not like Firefox >=29 ?  Get Pale Moon !  http://www.palemoon.org