Thomas Funk <t.f...@web.de> writes:

> Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
>> On 2015-12-12, Dan Espen wrote:
> [snip]
>>> You should try fvwm-menu-desktop if you haven't done so already.
>>> Use the size= parameter to control the icon sizes.
>>
>>   $ fvwm-menu-desktop | grep size || echo fail
>>   fail
>>
>>   $ fvwm-menu-desktop --version
>>   2.6.5
>>
>> Too old or Debian maintainer broke script?
> [snip]
>
> Dan refers in his statement to the new fvwm-menu-desktop located in the
> CVS version of FVWM.
>
> If you want to use it, you need from CVS:
> - fvwm-menu-desktop (new Python based xdg menu generator)
> => copy it to /usr/bin/
> - fvwm-menu-desktop-config.fpl (configuration GUI)
> => copy it to /usr/share/fvwm/
> - fvwm-menu-desktop.1 (new man page)
> => copy it to /usr/share/man/man1/

Not sure a manual install is a good idea.

To download the latest version from CVS:

  cvs -d :pserver:anonym...@cvs.fvwm.org:/home/cvs/fvwm checkout -r branch-2_6
fvwm

To build it:

utils/configure_dev.sh
/configure
make
make install  (as root)

You'll probably find you need a few -devel packages.

> Or you could download it from here (if you won't follow the CVS
> instructions from the FVWM web page):
> https://github.com/Fvwm-Nightshade/Fvwm-Nightshade/blob/release-0.6/bin/fvwm-menu-desktop2
> https://github.com/Fvwm-Nightshade/Fvwm-Nightshade/blob/release-0.6/fvwm/fvwm-menu-desktop2-config.fpl
> https://github.com/Fvwm-Nightshade/Fvwm-Nightshade/blob/release-0.6/man/fvwm-menu-desktop2.1.gz

Hmm, heard of it but know nothing about the Nightshade project.
I see on their page:

  Works with FVWM  2.6.5 without loosing new Xdg menu  support from FVWM
  CVS version.

Not sure that's a good thing.
I guess it's time I did a new stable release.
I retire this spring, maybe I'll find time then.

> Add this to your config:
>
> # Dynamic menu realized with DynamicPopupAction
> AddToMenu MenuRoot DynamicPopupAction FuncMenuRoot
>
> DestroyFunc FuncMenuRoot
> AddToFunc   FuncMenuRoot
> + I DestroyMenu MenuRoot
> + I AddToMenu MenuRoot DynamicPopupAction MenuRoot
> + I AddToMenu MenuRoot "$[gt.Root Menu]" Title
> + I Popup FvwmMenu
> + I AddToMenu MenuRoot "" Nop
>
> # Remark: FuncMenuRoot exchanges your current root menu. Add your other
> # entries after the Nop line.
>
> #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> # Dynamic FvwmMenu sub menu for XDG menus
> # realized with DynamicPopupAction
> #-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> AddToMenu FvwmMenu DynamicPopupAction FuncXdgMenusInRoot
>
> DestroyFunc FuncXdgMenusInRoot
> AddToFunc   FuncXdgMenusInRoot
> + I AddToMenu FvwmMenu DynamicPopupAction FuncXdgMenusInRoot
> + I Test (f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/.menu) Read $[FVWM_USERDIR]/.menu
> + I PipeRead 'fvwm-menu-desktop --insert-in-menu MenuRoot >
> $[FVWM_USERDIR]/.menu && echo "Read $[FVWM_USERDIR]/.menu"'
>
> # Remark: if you're using the scripts from Fvwm-Nightshade don't forget
> # the '2' behind fvwm-menu-desktop ;-)
>
> For more information see the new fvwm-menu-desktop man page.
>
> [snip]
>> How is script supposed to manage icon size? It resize them and store under
>> ~/.cache/fvwm dir?
> [snip]
>
> You can set the wanted icon size via configuration GUI or command line.
> Default location for resized icons is ~/.fvwm/icons/
>
> -- Thomas --

Thanks.

--
Dan Espen