Just got the first problematic experience with Panther (TiBook 1 GHz).

After finishing setting up the OS 9 partition (which I do need right now),
I ran Norton on the OS X partition as minor problems were prompted by
File Saver. These were repaired, then I defrag'd and upon re-booting to
X.3.2, I get the apple screen, then I'm brought directly to the bash and
get the following lines:

/etc/master.passwd: Not a directory
/etc/master.passwd: Not a directory
-sh: /etc/profile: Not a directory
-sh-2.05# in6_ifattach_linklocal: failed to configure a link-local address
on lo0 (errno=55)
in6_ifattach: lo0 failed to attach a local linklocal address

I can issue commands at the shell prompt (-sh-2.05#), but I don't know
what to issue. <help> would show me some of the possible commands, I can

also I get the following (-sh-2.05# is the prompt, what follows is what I
type):

-sh-2.05# ls /etc
/etc

and:

-sh-2.05# ls -als /etc
/etc/master.passwd: Not a directory

If I hold option while rebooting, I can choose to boot onto the OS 9
partition, which works fine. It looks like some information is
corrupted. Is there a simple/quick way to get out of
this without having to re-install and reconfigure everything(I just
finished that and was scheduled to begin work basically now). Maybe a
bash command? I'm rusted on Unix. I have access to external firewire
drives/computers.

please CC any reply to me, as I'm on digest.

cheers, gianfranco