I just want to make one small comment on an issue that has been raised by Stephen Goranson but has recurred throughout the more recent history of DSS discussion.

These legal matters are best not
termed here "halakha," because that rabbinic term is not used at Qumran in the
rabbinic sense

The question is not what the term is called but whether it is the same thing. In fact it is not a term consistently used by the rabbis either. Legal exegesis aimed at regulating the life of a Jewish community, in both cases. And the techniques are similar enough, as are the presuppositions. I remain to be convinced that the 'rabbinic sense' is sufficiently different (hardly different, really) to warrant a distinct terminology.

I. at any rate, despite the structures of my dear friend Al Baumgarten, prefer this to any other word (such as??) for this hermeneutical technique.

Philip Davies