To: "Jack Kilmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <g-megillot@McMaster.ca>
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 7:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Megillot] Qumran cemetery-the skeletons

Jack,

I suggest that it is less accurate to describe Qumran as \"located smack-dab in the middle of \"Balsam country.\"\" than to describe it as located between (and distinct from) two known centers of balsam production, both of which had more plentiful water. If I am located, say, between two automobile factories, it
does not follow that my location is an automobile factory.

Well, to borrow from Kipling, "balsam to the right of me, balsam to the left of me..." Qumran lies within a straight line along the 50 kilometers or so from Jericho to En Gedi along the west bank of the Dead Sea and Jericho and En-Gedi were the sites of the royal plantations for balsam cultivation. I don't think that balsam was cultivated at Qumran unless there was a significant spring there but this tree sap was the most precious commodity of the ancient Near East and required some sophisticated processing to produce various unguents, medicinal preparations, perfumes and incenses for use at the temple. More precious than gold, it would have been processed under some form of security. The fortress-like K. Qumran is a possibility and Hirschfeld's cells may have accomodated the plantation workers. The trees, probably a variety of Balsamodendron, were not easily cultivated and required specific experience and skills. The balsam plants given to Cleopatra were cultivated at Mataria by imported Judean workers. There is some nostalgic deja vu here since I seem to recall conversations around this topic and the possibility of Qumran being wetter on Orion about 10 years ago. Where does the time go, Stephen?

Though I don\'t object to tests I don\'t see why you would guess the table would have been used for balsam. Glass is multifunctional and not greatly rare. I know no special relationship between Qumran and Yizhar\'s Ein Gedi site. Qumran lacks
royal evidence.

Some of the artifacts from Qumran seem to suggest a more well-to-do residency than De Vaux's "poor ones" monk-like priests..but the long plaster covered tables might tell us something about their use if they were examined scientifically rather than archaeologically. Plaster is porous and any plastered table tops used for scriptorial activities over many years will certainly have microscopic evidence of that activity...or any other activity. If they have not been examined microscopically or radiometrically or through flourescence, it is archaeologically and scientifically negligent. There is no evidence for anything if you fail to look for it. Joseph Patrich from the Institute of Archaeology at the Hebrew University discusses on his website a juglet of suspected balsam oil found in one of the Qumran caves. A Juglet with (Balsam?) Oil From a Cave Near Qumran, Eretz Israel 20 (Yadin Volume), Jerusalem 1989, pp. 321-329 (together with Benny Arubas).

A Juglet Containing Balsam Oil(?) From a Cave Near Qumran, Israel Exploration Journal 39 (1989), pp. 43-55 (together with Benny Arubas).

Finally, perhaps you would be interested in reading Ehud Netzer\'s article, \"Did Any Perfume Industry Exist at \'Ein Feshkha?\" IEJ 55 (3005) 97-100. To oversimplify and paraphrase his answer: no. Perfume production there was much less probable than date production. Further, please note, during this season of claiming Jericho parallels for many, conflicting, theoretical proposals, that Ehud Netzer argues his case largely based on the archaeology of Jericho, where
for many many years he has been and still is, after all, the principal
archaeologist.

I'll have to read it. I would be curious to know why Balsam plants cultivated at Jericho (the larger plantation) could not be cultivated at Ein Feshkha because of the springs. Being a royal monopoly, it may be that it was important to keep cultivation and processing restricted to certain areas.

Jack Kilmon